A hidden gem with rich nutritional profile and health benefits!
Flax seed is obtained from Flax, a member of genus Linum belonging to family Linaceae. It is a food crop as well as fiber crop. It is also known as “linseed”. Its oil is extracted from the seeds and linen from the stem. The seeds are sweet, oily and have a mild smell.
Ayurveda describes the characterstics of flax seed as sweet, bitter (rasa), hot (Veerya), pungent (Vipaka), heavy and sticky (Guna). It balances the vata dosha. Its stem, flower and seed are the useful parts as the stem gives linen from which linen clothes and fabric is made and its flower and seed is used as food. Flax seed has played a key role in Ayurvedic medicinal system since ages. It is prescribed in various foods and is also used as an ingredient in various Ayurvedic medicines. Flaxseed is one of the most underrated ingredient that has the quality to transform any food into impeccable taste.
Bountiful Breakfast of flax seed oatmeal
- Lemon juice
- Raw sugar
- Chopped pecans
Boil 3 cups of water. Stir flax seeds, oats and salt. Cook for six minute in medium-low. Stir milk and butter. Combine blueberries, chopped pecans, lemon juice, sugar. Microwave at high for half to one minutes stirring every thirty seconds.
Soothing Lunch of flax seed dal and rice
Source:picture from Ajaytrading.co
- Cooked Rice
- Flax seed
- Green chilli
- Salt and little sugar
Fry the flax seeds in a hot pan for one minute. Put them in a mixer or grinder and turn the seeds into powder. Mix the powder in a half cup cold water. Boil the water mix with green chilli, turmeric, salt and sugar in another container. Add the flaxseed mixture in boiled water and cook for 12-15minutes. Serve with steamy rice.
Outstanding evening with flax seed smoothie
- Bottle gourd
- Flax seed
- Cumin seed
- Low-fat curd
- Mint leaves
Cook bottle gourd in medium flame for couple of minutes. Add all ingredient and mash and mix well. Freeze for an hour. Serve chilled.
Super-tasty dinner of flax seed chapati
- Whole-wheat flour
- Flax seeds
- Green Chilli
- Vegetable oil
Make a dough of white-wheat flour. Add onion, green chilli, coriander and make a flatten dough. Add flax seed now and flatten the dough in chapati form. Serve with raita, curd and pickles.
Health benefits of Flax Seed
- Contains Omega-3 fatty acids – Omega–3 fatty acids are essential. They help in maintaining heart health, blood platelet function, inflammation and blood pressure. Flaxseeds are very high in the omega–3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid. It also helps in gaining good skin and hair.
- Good food – It is a good source of fiber, aids in digestion and improves constipation problems. Also cures problems related to hypertension.
- Cholesterol free- Acording to Nutrition Research, flaxseed lignan, can be effective at reducing blood cholesterol levels.It is rich source of alpha-linolenic acid.
- Fight cancer cells – According to American Institute of Cancer Reasearch, flaxseed and lignans isolated from it reduce breast cancer development, slow growth of existing breast tumors and lower levels of several growth factors that promote breast cancer.
- “Flax seeds can help reduce menopausal symptoms. Flax seeds can also help women with irregular periods and those with extreme symptoms of PMS. They also help in controlling heavy bleeding during menstruation, reduce the risk of breast cancer and improve uterine function.”
Get Flax Seeds rom Medhya Brahmi Bites
Medhya Brahmi Bites is a wholesome blend of brain nourishing herbs such as Brahmi and Ashwagandha and Omega 3 rich foods such as flax seed, basil seeds, and sesame seeds, and figs. It is a delicious blend that would not only provide you with the required micro nutrients but also help satiate your hunger pangs as and when you carry them along with at work, travel, or at home. Find out more here.
Stay Happy! Stay Healthy!