Cinnamon is one of the healthiest and yummiest herbs/spices!
Cinnamon – Ayurveda’s Favourite ingredient is a delicious and fragrant spice obtained from the bark of tree called Ceylon cinnamon tree. It’s scientific name is Cinnamomum verum. These are evergreen trees belonging to family of Lauraceae species. These are ten to fifteen metres long tree whose inner bark is used as Cinnamon. Originally a native of Sri Lanka, it is grown in the lower elevations of Kerala in India.
There are two types of cinnamon. One is Cassia Cinnamon and other is Ceylon Cinnamon. Ceylon is the better and refined one while the other is commonly available and comparatively cheaper.
It is one of the reverred Ayurvedic herb and an omnipresent ingredient to Ayurvedic dietary regime and herbal formulations. It is suggested to use the herb in daily aahara. It’s rasa or taste is both pungent and sweet. Its energy is hot and its guna is of dry and penetrating nature. It is used in both powder and sticks formation.
- It is known to calm the Vata and Kapha Doshas.
- It increases the Pitta and hence helps with digestive fire and digestive process.
- Vipaka or the post digestive effect of Cinnamon is sweet in nature and hence it helps build body tissues.
- It improves digestion and removes toxins from the body.
- It is a cure for various rampant problems like cough, cold, sinus, menstruation cramping, fever, etc.
- It also regulates the blood sugar levels and is a clotting agent.
It is one of such herbs/spices that do not need introduction. It is widely popular around the world for its rich aroma, delicious flavour, and for its health benefits. The source of rich aroma for the spice is cinnamonaldehyde, an oil found in bark of the tree. It is widely used in desserts such as fruit pies and cakes. In India, it is used in vegetable curries to give a strong aroma to the cooked vegetable along with a sweeter taste. The sticks are used in making of Pulao, a famous dish made of rice, vegetables and dry fruit.
Cinnamon in home remedies
Cinnamon mixed with honey is one of the best natural weight loss method. Mix half teaspoon of the herb in hot water and let it cool down. Add full teaspoon of honey and consume it nearly thirty minutes before the breakfast for a healthy and refreshing start to your day.
- To cure cough and cold, boil cinnamon sticks in water and inhale the vapour. This cures the nasal track and purifies the lungs.
- Cinnamon tea soothes during menstruation cramps. Boil cinnamon sticks in water. Add milk and take it three to four times a day. This will relax and calm the intense pain during menstruation.
Medhya advices an ayurvedic lifestyle. All the products of Medhya are vegan and gluten free. Its ingredients are all those considered best in Ayurveda. Brahmi Bites contains cinnamon and various other important ingredients. It is best for increasing mental alertness and refreshing mood.